Thursday, April 15, 2010

Favorites, 2009 (Part 1, People)

While I think it might be a little late to revisit some of my favorite photos from 2009 (this is something traditionally reserved for the end of last year, right?), I figured, oh well, better late than never, especially since I'm getting ready for another trip soon (more details on that later). I’m not a professional photographer in the least bit, so you’ll have to forgive me if the photo quality isn’t always up to par; I picked my favorites based on the stories behind them, and not necessarily on the image quality or sense of color and depth.

Photographing people isn’t always as easy as you think. And, of course, there’s always the chance that the person you want to photograph is a little camera shy (not unlike myself). But isn’t it crazy how a single image of just one person can really capture an entire place or time, sometimes? That’s why I loved these photos so much, and I hope you might feel the same way about them, too.

In Amman, Jordan, we visited a local school, the Al-Hussein Society for the Rehabilitation of the Physically Challenged, to volunteer. I loved these two kids—they were so outgoing and inquisitive. (February 2009)


This is a photo of one of the guides who accompanied us during an overnight stay in the Wadi Rum Desert in Jordan. He just looked so cozy (it was freezing) and I’ll always remember his super-considerate offerings of steaming-hot Turkish coffee and sweet tea. (February 2009)


In Heidelberg, Germany, this ebullient older man suddenly started clapping out of nowhere, both startling and amusing the throngs of tourists around him. (August 2009)


I just loved how this Israeli couple clung to each other as they left the synagogue at a kibbutz in the Galilee. (September 2009)


In Nazareth, Israel, we were treated to a performance by a talented local Nazarene dance troupe. (September 2009)


This father and daughter from Akko, Israel, were kind enough to let me photograph them as they sat out on their rooftop. (September 2009)


This photo, also taken in Akko, was a little unsettling: I don’t know if you can see it all that well, but the boy on the far right is playing with a mock rifle. (September 2009)


My friend and I encountered this little boy as we got lost trying to navigate our way through Akko. He was really interested in checking out our camera equipment. (September 2009)


At the Ghetto Fighters’ House Museum in Israel, we came across large groups of Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) recruits. I loved how the guy on the left decided to put on his best face for me. (September 2009)


Just another day at the pit stop for this IDF soldier (September 2009)


In Jerusalem, a father accompanied his son home from school. (September 2009)


A woman walking through the Old City of Jerusalem (September 2009)


Traditional dancers from Costa Rica—I loved how their skirts moved with every twirl. (November 2009)


I couldn’t take my eyes off of the chefs who made our fresh soba noodles at the Hoshinoya Kyoto restaurant. (December 2009)


A delighted sous chef from Tempura Matsu in Kyoto, Japan, displayed a soon-to-be-cooked-and-eaten fish for us. (December 2009)


This little boy was fascinated by the gigantic koi fish that lived in the ponds surrounding the beautifully serene Tenryu-ji Temple in Kyoto, Japan. (December 2009)


My one and only geisha spotting from Kyoto—but I can’t even be sure if she’s a real geisha or just a girl playing dress up. (December 2009)


One big tuna at the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo (December 2009)


At the DMZ in South Korea (December 2009)


(All photos © Deanna Ting)


No comments:

Post a Comment