Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hawaii, March 2010 (Part Two, Maui)

This trip marked my first one to Maui and, judging from what I saw of the island, I could see why so many people love to travel to it year after year. I think that Jocelyn, our PR rep for the Sheraton Maui described it perfectly when she told me, “It’s a happy medium between Oahu and the Big Island.” I couldn’t agree more.

While on Maui, I loved to take time to explore nearby Lahaina.


Here, I made it a point to indulge in some shave ice…


As well as engage in some window shopping for ukuleles and…


...Obama bobbleheads, of course.


Lahaina is also home to a famously large banyan tree.


The town has a cute, laid-back character that’s even got some U.K. influences…


…And Italian ones, too (loved the Vespas).


One afternoon, I even ran into a local fisherman carrying a cart full of fresh mahimahi.


I also took some time to try out the Skyline Eco-Adventures zipline at Kaanapali and found out that our guide, Leo (shown here), actually grew up in the next city over from my own hometown—small world, indeed.


While the views from the zipline were pretty amazing, so were those of Kaanapali Beach.


The luau at The Westin Maui served a pretty good pipikaula (seasoned beef jerky; left) and poke (marinated ahi tuna; right).


But one of the biggest highlights of the trip was going on a Teralani Sailing Adventures whale watch and capturing this, before my SLR became stricken with a case of "Error 99."


Next up, large dogs, bathing pineapples and blue Russian potatoes from Oahu…

(All photos (c) Deanna Ting)

No comments:

Post a Comment